Small Business Manager - UnderwritingUnited Kingdom - England - Fareham
You will manage a team spread remotely across our offices. A good understanding of underwriting and pricing for business insurance will be required alongside strong analytical skills and the ability to extract data and work on findings. We are looking for a candidate with strong influencing skills with evidence of exposure to senior stakeholders.
SME is investing in the development and implementation of the Small Business proposition, including the Acturis system and Leeds Centre of Excellence. The business strategy is to compete in the mainstream against established competitors in a market where we have significant growth potential. This is a fast flow environment across both extranet and panel distribution routes.
The purpose of this role is to lead the profitable growth of small business insurance in Underwriting through analysis and insight and implementing changes in the system and the wider environment to drive performance. The focus area is all ‘machine’ business (such as package, CCI, small fleet etc).
• Accountable for the machine profitability – the profit of business underwritten and priced by the machine. Be alert to the internal and external factors impacting machine trading performance, promptly identifying causation and actions to ensure the performance targets are achieved.
• The role holder will have responsibility for setting the machine price for use in the Centres of Excellence to deliver the target volume and profit outcomes alongside the underwriters. Additionally, they will determine the underwriting strategy for Small Business that delivers the business strategy, within the boundaries of risk appetite and wider requirements set by the Technical team and Group.
• Conduct regular end to end analysis, identifying insight (such as warning signs on business mix, trading opportunities, competitor behaviour) that drives incremental value generation and determine the appropriate actions.
• Obtain approval (where required) for these actions and work across the SME team to implement the changes into the live environment on a timely basis, monitor the performance of these changes in the market and refine where necessary. The role will have responsibility to make market pricing adjustments (within agreed authority limits) to achieve the volume and profit outcomes.
• Be alive to market behavior that may be detrimental to Zurich (such as ghost broking, wasteful demand etc) and design and implement actions to prevent occurrence and respond where necessary.
• Develop the effectiveness of the machine to ensure broker experience is positive and demand into the Leeds and Cardiff centres is value-adding.
• Deliver the machine requirement of deals.
• Ensure conduct, control and governance standards are met for the machine environment relating to areas of responsibility.
• Dimensions include product, market pricing, system parameters, customer data requirements, external data.
• To manage a small team and a wider virtual team to deliver the requirements of the role and the team, and to support individual development.
- Bachelors degree (or equivalent) in Economics/Mathematics/Statistics/Data Science
- Strong knowledge of Insurance and experience of data analysis
- Data analysis
- Change management experience
- Discounted gym membership,
- 22 days holiday plus an additional 3 volunteering days
- Discounted gadget insurance
- Annual company bonuses
Contribution to medical cover
- Discounted technology offers
- Virtual GP appointments
- Free flu jab
- 12% pension
- Discounted will writing service
With about 55,000 employees serving customers in more than 170 countries we aspire to become the best global insurer as measured by our shareholders, customers and employees. If you're interested in working in a dynamic and challenging environment for a company that recognises and rewards your creativity, initiatives and contributions - then Zurich could be just the place for you. The success of our business is built on the contributions of our highly talented employees - people who work every day to position us at the forefront of the insurance industry. We therefore look to hire great people and we encourage those people to give their best.
You’ll feel the support of being part of a strong and stable company. A long-standing player in the insurance industry, we make every effort to address the career development needs and plans of our employees to ensure their success in the future.
At Zurich, we aim to have a diverse mix of employees that reflects our customers and the communities in which we live and work. Our diversity and inclusion initiatives are shaping an environment where everyone feels welcome, regardless of age, gender, race, religion, ability, culture, sexual orientation or mental health status. Our approach ensures that Zurich is a place that values different opinions, respects personal needs, and provides equal opportunities for all. We are committed to continuous improvement and we offer access to a comprehensive range of training and development opportunities. Zurich is passionate about supporting employees to help others by getting involved in volunteering, charitable and community activity through the Zurich Community Trust.
So make a difference. Be challenged. Be inspired. Be supported, Love what you do. Work for us.