Fire Protection Engineer PT job share FT or Flexwork
Fire Protection Engineer PT, job-share, FT and flexwork
Location: Home based with some travel
The purpose of the role is provide risk assessment, risk insight, relationship management and thought leadership to internal and external customers to support business goals. The role will be customer facing and will act as a technical resource to our customers and our business partners in Underwriting. There will be opportunities also to provide mentoring and training to other field staff within our Property and Energy Practice.
We are looking for people with experience in understanding the risks that businesses face and the impact of business interruption and how these risks can be mitigated through appropriate fire protection and risk improvement programmes.
We'd love you to have an Insurance background, but if you have a good understanding of risk assessment and technical reporting, that works for us too.
This role is available full-time, as a job-share, or part-time. This is because we want the best people for our roles, and we recognise that sometimes those people aren’t available full-time
The role of a Fire Protection Engineer is challenging but very rewarding and will cover the following accountabilities:
- Responsible for assisting administration of fire protection programs.
- Providing technical assistance to underwriters, customers and colleagues on Active Fire Protection System issues.
- Reviewing construction site plans and fire protection system drawings for compliance with relevant fire protection codes and standards including full analysis of hydraulic calculations.
- Carry out detailed on site assessments to figure out effectiveness and suitability of the fixed fire protection systems, identifying areas of improvement where required
- Carry out detailed on-site water supply tests to resolve water availability and adequacy to protect buildings and structures
- Demonstrate continuous effort to improve operations, decrease turnaround times and streamline work processes; work cooperatively and jointly to provide a quality seamless customer service.
- Interpret existing standards, develop new standards and review design documentation.
- To be involved in technical projects and technical training as required.
You will ideally be able to demonstrate some or all of the following requirements:
- Experience in a role as an Active Fire Protection Systems Design or Project Engineer or similar experience within an Insurance Industry Fire Protection Role. This includes experience, knowledge and application of technical standards including NFPA and LPC
- Plan review experience to demonstrate possession of the knowledge and abilities listed above.
- Be customer centric with an ability to build meaningful and trusting relationships.
- Demonstrate strong consultative skills and approach
- Be naturally curious and able to provide and drive innovative solutions
- Clearly demonstrate strong communication skills and be able to negotiate and facilitate as required
- An ability to embrace empowerment and accountability.
- Good organisational, analytical, problem solving and prioritisation skills,
- A positive and proactive approach to using digital tools, having a capability to think innovatively in relation to how these can be utilised from a risk engineering perspective.
- Has a tangible commitment to self-development.
- Membership of an appropriate and relevant body ie. Institution of Fire Engineers, Institute of Risk Management or Institution of Occupational Safety and Health or Institution of Mechanical Engineers.
- Qualifications in LPCB Sprinkler exams
- An ability to promptly research a technical issue, using technical references and contacts and deliver viable solutions.
We’re offering a competitive salary, as well as this we offer an excellent lifestyle benefits package which includes –
- 25 days holiday plus an additional 3 volunteering days
- 12% pension
- Company car
- Annual company bonuses
Discounted technology offers
- Virtual GP appointments
- Free flu jab
- Discounted gadget insurance
- Discounted will writing service
At Zurich we will consider requests for flexible working on hiring. Many of our employees work flexibly in many different ways, including part-time, flexible hours, job share, an element of working from home or compressed hours. Please talk to us at interview about the flexibility you may need.
You’ll feel the support of being part of a strong and stable company. A long-standing player in the insurance industry, we make every effort to address the career development needs and plans of our employees to ensure their success in the future.
At Zurich, we aim to have a diverse mix of employees that reflects our customers and the communities in which we live and work. Zurich is a workplace that values different opinions, respects personal needs, and provides equal opportunities for all, regardless of age, gender, race, religion, disability, marital status, gender identity, pregnancy/maternity status and sexual orientation. Our approach ensures that Zurich is a place that values different opinions, respects personal needs, and provides equal opportunities for all. We are committed to continuous improvement and we offer access to a comprehensive range of training and development opportunities. Zurich is passionate about supporting employees to help others by getting involved in volunteering, charitable and community activity through the Zurich Community Trust.
So make a difference. Be challenged. Be inspired. Be supported, Love what you do. Work for us.