Assistant Market UnderwriterUnited Kingdom - England - Oxfordshire
Assistant Market Underwriter – (P/T, job-share or F/T)
As an Assistant Market Underwriter you will learn the fundamentals of multi-line underwriting, while working within the structure of a formalised underwriting training program including measuring exposure, analysing risk, price, quote, set coverage, etc. Upon completion of the underwriting training, and under close supervision and guidance you will perform basic market-facing underwriting functions in a field office setting, working within defined authority levels.
This role is available part-time, job-share or full time. This is because we want the best people for our roles, and we recognise that sometimes those people aren’t available full-time. Please talk to us at interview about the flexibility you may need.
- Work closely with underwriting managers and assigned underwriters, who serve as the key contacts for target accounts.
- Service the needs of the customer and support others who maintain relationships with customers in given territory or region, hone skills in risk assessment and pricing.
- Respond to enquiries quickly and completely, also providing appropriate/accurate status updates.
- Recognise opportunities and respond appropriately.
- Identify and resolve problems by referring to policies, procedures, and standards.
- Make suggestions to improve procedures.
- Prioritize, organize, plan and process work.
- Monitor work processing using standard tracking tools ensuring attention to timeliness, productivity and quality so that projects are implemented efficiently and effectively.
- Follow procedures to ensure adherence to the company´s risk and compliance policies.
- Perform general clerical services to underwriters and underwriting support staff in the processing of all transactions, using established procedures and standard software.
- Provide feedback and recommendations for improvement of processes and systems.
- Identify and escalate customer feedback relating to process and system issues.
- Liaise with internal clients in order to exchange information, clarify facts, and resolve queries and/or problems.
Performance Management Accountabilities
- Demonstrate commitment to corporate values
- Take accountability for participating in the performance management cycle
- Participate fully as a team member
- Exchange expertise and provide advice to team members and business partners. Take action to manage own personal development.
- Excellent at building relationships with external clients and/or customers, active listening and analysis.
- Knowledge of Underwriting.
- Strong verbal and written communication skills.
- Basic knowledge of the insurance industry and the legal and regulatory environment .
- Knowledge of underwriting philosophy, techniques, national/local filing regulations and guidelines.
- Strong negotiation skills.
- Presentation skills and a solutions and service orientation.
As well as an excellent salary package we offer an excellent lifestyle benefits package which includes –
- Discounted gym membership,
- 22 days holiday plus an additional 3 volunteering days
- Discounted gadget insurance
- Annual company bonuses
- Discounted technology offers
- Virtual GP appointments
- Free flu jab
- 12% pension
- Discounted will writing service
At Zurich we will consider requests for flexible working on hiring. Many of our employees work flexibly in many different ways, including part-time, flexible hours, job share, an element of working from home or compressed hours. Please talk to us at interview about the flexibility you may need.
With about 55,000 employees serving customers in more than 170 countries we aspire to become the best global insurer as measured by our shareholders, customers and employees. If you're interested in working in a dynamic and challenging environment for a company that recognises and rewards your creativity, initiatives and contributions - then Zurich could be just the place for you. The success of our business is built on the contributions of our highly talented employees - people who work every day to position us at the forefront of the insurance industry. We therefore look to hire great people and we encourage those people to give their best.
You’ll feel the support of being part of a strong and stable company. A long-standing player in the insurance industry, we make every effort to address the career development needs and plans of our employees to ensure their success in the future.
At Zurich, we aim to have a diverse mix of employees that reflects our customers and the communities in which we live and work. Zurich is a workplace that values different opinions, respects personal needs, and provides equal opportunities for all, regardless of age, gender, race, religion, disability, marital status, gender identity, pregnancy/maternity status and sexual orientation. Our approach ensures that Zurich is a place that values different opinions, respects personal needs, and provides equal opportunities for all. We are committed to continuous improvement and we offer access to a comprehensive range of training and development opportunities. Zurich is passionate about supporting employees to help others by getting involved in volunteering, charitable and community activity through the Zurich Community Trust.
So make a difference. Be challenged. Be inspired. Be supported, Love what you do. Work for us.